French Onion Soup
with ACE Roasted Garlic Crostino
Rich with caramelized onions, shallots and Port, this comforting soup is topped with cubes of toasted bread and plenty of melted cheese to warm you up on chilly days.
- 1 package ACE Bakery® Roasted Garlic Crostino
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 sweet Vidalia onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup ruby Port
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. Maldon sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz Emmental cheese, grated
- 6 oz Gruyère cheese, grated
- Place 2 tbsp. of the melted butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and sauté for 3 or 4 minutes until fragrant and just beginning to colour.
- Add the onions all at once and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are wilted and reduced in volume. Cook onions gently. There is no need to rush them. Stir every now and again scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pot incorporating them into the onions until the onions are richly caramelized and golden brown.
- Add the Port and cook until reduced and syrupy, about 15 minutes. Add the beef and chicken stock, red wine, half the thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Stir together the Emmental and Gruyère cheese with the remaining thyme.
- Place 6 ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet and ladle in the onions and broth leaving room for the Roasted Garlic Crostino and cheese. Sprinkle a little of the cheese mixture into each bowl, top with as many Roasted Garlic Crostino as you'd like, and sprinkle with more cheese. Broil for about 2 minutes until bubbling, melted and golden brown.
This recipe is from ACE Bakery®.