Spaghetti with Butternut Squash, Bacon, and Kale
with Toasted Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
This pasta is lightly dressed with lemon, garlic and chili pepper letting the flavours of the roasted squash and bacon shine through. Adding the toasted whole wheat bread crumbs at the end gives the dish a nutty crunch.
- 1/3 loaf ACE Bakery Country Wheat Baguette or Harvest Multigrain Baguette
- 1 small butternut squash
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into ½-inch (1.27 cm) pieces
- 1½ cup (375 mL) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 12 oz. (340 g) whole wheat spaghetti
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) fresh or dried chili pepper
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) maldon salt
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 mL) reserved pasta water
- 4 cups (1 L) baby kale
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into ½-inch (1.27 cm) cubes. Place cubes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring once or twice to cook evenly.
- Cut the bread into large cubes and whirl in a food processor until chunky crumbs form.
- Cook the bacon in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until crispy and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) of the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the bacon fat in the skillet and toast over medium heat, stirring occasionally until lightly golden and crispy, about 5 or 6 minutes. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese and cook stirring until melted and begins to brown, about 2 minutes more. Reserve breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil. Cook the pasta for 7 or 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain in a colander. Don't forget to reserve ¼ cup of pasta water.
- Place the skillet with bacon fat over medium heat, add the olive oil and the garlic and cook until fragrant and just gently golden, about 1 minute. Add chili pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, cooked pasta, salt and pepper and pasta water stirring to coat well. Add the butternut squash, bacon and baby kale and toss until just wilted.
- Serve the pasta in large bowls topped with generous spoonfuls of the toasted Parmesan breadcrumbs and the remaining ½ cup (125 mL) Parmesan cheese.
This recipe is from ACE Bakery.