Roast Turkey with Apple, Fennel, and Sage Stuffing
with ACE Olive Oil Mini Crisps
Bacon, garlic, apples, chestnuts - this recipe has it all for the ultimate turkey dinner.
Prep and Cook Time: 5 hours
For the Turkey
- 12 lb. (5.4 kg) free range organic fresh turkey
- ½ cup (125 g) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) sea salt
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
For the Stuffing
- ¼ cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
- 6 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 cups (480 mL) sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cut ¼" (.64 cm) dice
- 1 cup (240 mL) roasted chestnuts, halved
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) kosher salt
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 1 bag ACE Bakery Olive Oil & Sea Salt Mini Crisps [smashed] or 1 ACE Bakery White Baguette (350g), staled
- ½ cup (125 mL) chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C).
Prep the Turkey!
- Rinse and dry the turkey inside and out, removing the neck and giblets from the cavity if they come with them to save for gravy.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan breast side up.
- Rub the butter inside and outside the bird, getting the butter in between the skin and the meat of the breast with your fingers.
- Season generously with salt and pepper inside and out.
Make the Stuffing!
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes until crispy and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add the garlic, fennel and onions to the skillet and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add apple and chestnuts and cook 3 minutes or until apple begins to soften.
- Season with salt, pepper, sage and lemon zest.
- Transfer to bowl along with smashed ACE Mini Crisps and the reserved bacon.
- Pour the chicken stock over stuffing and toss to combine.
2 Ways to Cook Stuffing:
- In the turkey = more moist and dense.
- In a casserole dish = crisper and lighter in texture.
- Place the stuffing loosely in the chest cavity of the turkey. Cover the bird with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- After 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 350°F.
- Roast the bird for 15 to 20 minutes per pound so the turkey should take about 3 to 3½ hours to cook.
- Every 45 minutes baste the turkey with the pan drippings to keep it moist and juicy and cover again with the foil.
- During the last hour of cooking remove the aluminum foil to crisp the skin.
When is the turkey ready?
The turkey is ready when a meat thermometer registers 170°F (77°C) in the centre of the thigh. Transfer the turkey to a platter and cover it with the foil and keep it warm near the stove. The turkey should rest for an hour before carving to allow the juices to settle.
- Place stuffing in a casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes in 350°F oven (176°C).
- Uncover and continue to bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve with turkey, gravy and all the trimmings. #DiscoverGreat
- -This recipe is from ACE Bakery
This recipe is from ACE Bakery.