French Onion Soup Bites
with ACE® White Baguette
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Pro Tip: These bites can be fully assembled ahead and frozen until ready to bake - perfect for drop-in guests or easy party planning.
- 1 ACE Bakery® White Baguette
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 large cooking onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, or sherry or water
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Cut ACE® White Baguette into 1-inch pieces (about 18 pieces); arrange on a large rimmed baking sheet in a single layer with cut side facing up. Press the centre of each piece down with your thumb to make a small “cup” Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat, add onions, salt, pepper and mustard powder; stirring often until onions are golden and tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine (or whatever liquid you are using) and reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Divide warm onion mixture over the baguette pieces and top each with the shredded Gruyere.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and is golden and bubbling, about 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve warm.