Basil Chicken and Artichoke Bake
with Tomatoes and Grated Parmesan Crostino
The Grated Parmesan Crostino add a delicious crunchy topping to this warming chicken bake with Mediterranean flavours of basil, garlic and artichoke. You can make this as one casserole or in six individual ramekins.
- 1 pouch ACE Bakery Grated Parmesan Crostino
- 1½ lb (672 g) skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) Maldon salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 10 oz (280 g) grape tomatoes cut in half
- ½ cup (120 mL) chicken stock or water
- 14 fl. oz (398 mL) can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 18 oz (500 g) potato gnocchi (or 2 cups (480 mL) orechiette pasta, cooked al dente)
- 2 cups (480 mL) fresh baby spinach
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 20 fresh small basil leaves
- 6 oz (168 g) fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 cup (240 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubed pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the chicken in batches until lightly golden on all sides but still pink in the middle, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, reserving the oil in the skillet. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until softened and light golden.
- Lower the heat to a gentle simmer and add the grape tomatoes and chicken stock or water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes break up and the mixture becomes saucy, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved chicken, artichoke hearts, gnocchi or orechiette pasta (cooked al dente, about 2 minutes under recommended cooking time) and spinach, stirring to combine well. Cook for 1 minute just until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, zest, fresh basil leaves, mozzarella and half the grated Parmesan. Spoon the mixture into a 13- x 9-inch (33- x 23-cm) casserole dish or 6 individual 1½-cup (360-mL) ramekins. Top with the ACE Bakery Grated Parmesan Crostino and the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
This recipe is from ACE Bakery.